Sunday, October 21, 2007

Internship Journal #10

Hello to all…

I have been feeling a bit under the weather these days. I've had a migraine headache every evening this week. Ick!! I hope I begin to feel better. I am not certain what the cause of these headaches is, but it could be either the lights, reading the computer screen for long periods, or it could be my back. Not certain…I will prevail however…if my friend Scot can do it for so many years, I have no excuse to be a wimp. I spoke to another intern in the laundry room…he said he was tired…I told him that if he thought he was tired, imagine being my age. He chuckled…putting things into perspective is usually a very good thing.

Add Image

I was to tell you all about the astronauts. I met the team that just returned on the space shuttle. One of the members of this team was Barbara Morgan, she was the replacement for Krista McCauleph, the teacher that was on the space shuttle Challenger, the one that exploded on lift off in 1986. I lived in Orlando, Florida for most of my life and saw the space shuttle blast off on many occasion, I even saw the space shuttle piggy back atop a 474 airliner. I was in Orlando to see the pieces of the Challenger falling from the sky. It was a traumatic moment in the space program and the world watch in horror as these astronauts exploded before their very eyes. Barbara Morgan was never allowed to go into space as a teacher, however she became a military pilot and astronaut in full, so she had the opportunity to finally, 21 years after the Challenger tragedy, to follow her dream and fly on the shuttle. She and the others were more than willing to speak with us and one of the other interns is a "rocket scientist" from Cal Poly and he was in awe of the astronauts, just like I was. He asked them all questions and I let them all know that I grew up in Central Florida and feel very close ties to the area and believe that although there have been accidents, this is not a perfect world and these people are such perfectionists that we should expect that whatever should be done to improve on the work, these people are all willing to do this, because they know that it is a matter of life and death . The souls of the astronauts looking through the heavens are all hoping that someday, perfection in flight can be achieved.

We attended a seminar this past week with Tim Roemer, the President of the Center for National Policy. He was a great speaker, he suggested we read the book, "The Dance of Legislation" about a young person that comes to Washington, D.C. to change legislation. I look forward to reading it. I will order it soon. He spoke about how we can make a difference, he worked on education as a member of Congress. He tried to improve higher education and help more people receive funding to attend college. He told us that we need to find our nitch and work in the area in which we think we can make the most impact. I believe that my impact will be in the advocacy arena and I hope that I will have the opportunity to advocate for people with disabilities. I have found that many people are still discriminated against in employment issues and the offer of employment. I have been reading a report about employment of people with disabilities and the importance of this group of people to replace the many baby boomers that will be leaving the workforce. I hope to write my public policy paper on this issue. The paper is to be 20 pages and no long quotes. The professor wants us to do more paraphrasing of the information. I like long quotes, so I need to get with this paper soon. My journal is to be 20 pages as well and I think I am close, although I began before everyone else.

My battery on my computer is almost dead and my charger is no longer working. Tipper Gore chewed on it, before I left home and it finally quit on me. I ordered a new cord, but it won't be here until tomorrow…so I could lose my battery at any time. I will write more soon…

Until next time,

Eliza

No comments: